Library and Research Instruction Instruction
Online or hybrid courses.
College of San Mateo librarians teach 50 or 65 minute instruction sessions introducing research concepts and skills. In addition to general knowledge about research, many disciplines require students to acquire specialized research skills. Librarians collaborate with the faculty member to craft a session that will help students meet the course or assignment research related learning outcomes, objectives or needs. Instruction sessions can also be crafted to introduce students the library as an important resource in their academic endeavors at CSM and beyond. The ability to identify, analyze, and use information is fundamental to a successful career in higher education and in the workplace.
Faculty, Program Service Coordinators and campus leaders may request an instruction session during open hours and by special arrangement for evening classes.
Fall 2020 Library and Information Literacy Instruction during Remote Instruction
- Add a librarian to your online course in Canvas.
- Communicate with the assigned librarian. Many librarians are experienced in using Canvas for instruction and in using Zoom or other video conference tools to do instruction sessions with your class.
- Provide the assignment handout and the class syllabus. Both are used by librarians for collaborating with your and preparing the session.
3 suggested templates for remote/online instruction
- 20-30 minute Zoom instruction (asynchronous or synchronous) and a librarian embedded in a Canvas discussion board to support research related to the project.
- 20-30 minute Zoom instruction (asynchronous or synchronous) and a specialized Libguide for the assignment.
- Specialized Libguide for the assignment and and a librarian embedded in a Canvas discussion board to support research related to the project.
How to use this form
- ENGL 100/105 Faculty: contact your librarian partner about instruction options during the campus closure.
- Discipline Faculty other than ENGL 100/105: You can use this form to request an online instruction session during this campus closure.
- At least 1 week in advance, you can book your sessions using this form.
- If your request is less than 1 week out, please contact Teresa Morris by email.
- Find your time
- Time slots are in 10 minutes increments
- Choose the time slots that most closely match your class period or instruction session start time. Adjust the end time by using the pulldown menu that appears.
- Evening Classes - Pick the last time slot on the day AND leave additional instructions/comments/questions in the Comment box of the booking form.
- Leave additional scheduling details, if necessary, in the Comments box on the booking form.
Note: Booking approval is mediated for all locations and subject to librarian availability.